Friday, June 3, 2011

Happenings

Today Grace attended her first real grown up class. That means I wasn't involved. A group of homeschooled girls ranging in ages from 11 - 16 came together for a CPR/First Class through Red Cross. Once I picked her up she was full of information and so ready to save a life.

Next week I hope to receive in the mail our box of fun science items from Home Science Tools. Grace requested an owl pellet to investigate for bones. In the meantime I found a great book to go along with the owl pellet. An Owl in the House, A Naturalist's Diary by Bernd Heinrich. This book chronicles the journey of a man finding a baby owl, raising it to be released back in the wild and the many years that follow where the owl stays close by. Really looking forward to using this as a read aloud next week.


Our local Walmart is a small one with no grocery store. That is all about to change. The Super Walmart will open this end of this month. In the meantime many items are being clearanced so they will not have to move them to the new store. Today was some of the fabric. The picture above is two yards each of material I want to make into skirts for myself. The bottom picture is two yard each of material to make Grace a couple of skirts. The best part was 8 yards of fabric for $15.00. That means four skirts for $15.00.


Recently I have also picked up some more great books from the library to read over the summer for encouragement and research for homeschooling. Free Range Learning, Educating the Whole-Hearted Child, and John Holt's Instead of Education Ways to Help People Do Things Better.



















2 comments:

Gina said...

Looks like you found some good books! I'm going to look for the owl book.
Gina

Renee said...

Thanks for sharing what books you are reading.Can you tell me if you like Free Range Learning,our libraries don't have it & I considered buying it but didn't want to buy another book that I will just put away & not use.