Friday, September 9, 2011

Egg Production

Over the past month egg production has been way down due to one set of birds molting and the other set being right on the cusp of age ready to start laying. As my previous post mentioned we received our first egg from the Buff two days ago. Well today we got another one. But here is the funny thing. I haven't been checking the nesting boxes for the game hens because they are still looking ratty and continuing their first molt. Today I thought I saw something in the third nesting box. I opened the hatch door and their wasn't anything in the third box but beside in the fourth nesting box Betty had been very busy. I found a clutch of five eggs that she had not been sitting on yet. This is the same bird that was broody off and on all Spring and Summer and would sit on absolutely nothing in the box. Now that she has a whole clutch she didn't want to sit. I feel so dumb for not checking the boxes and wasting five perfectly beautiful eggs. I will definitely be checking day from now on. It would be great to get back up to 3-5 eggs a day.

1 comment:

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

I've got two who go broody about 3 weeks after they stop, so I only get eggs from them for a few weeks a year. One heck of a way to get out of work! :-)