Friday, January 7, 2011

Unexpected Blessing

Seeing as how I just did a post on groceries and saving money, this post is a great follow up. I guess I need to start at the beginning, our son loves deer jerky. None of us hunt or wish too. His boss does, so he told Travis he would kill a deer for him and take it to the processor if Travis would pay for the processing. We thought most of it would be turned in to deer jerky and about 20 small bags were. But our son also just came home with two roasts and about 15 pounds of ground meat. I have to confess I am a city girl and haven't ever really even eaten deer meat. In other words I need your help. I know that I will slow cook the roast in a crock pot with some seasonings. Anything special I need to do with the ground meat? I will just be using it for pasta, tacos and hamburgers. If we like it, the ground meat alone should last us three months. The processing really wasn't that expensive either, just $85.00, and he has enough deer jerky to last him all year.

4 comments:

Nekkid Chicken said...

If you are not used to the taste of game meat I would mix half and half with the ground meat you are used to eating. Make sure all the connective tissue or tendons (if any) hasn't been removed from the roast, then soak it in the fridge over night in a bath of milk, garlic, onion --- whatever you have on hand to draw out some of the gamey taste. Then rinse and put the cut in your roaster as you would other long cooked cuts of meat.

Otherwise, I find myself jealous. We have not be fortunate enough to get any deer meat yet this season. Take care,
Mal

Just an Average American Mom said...

I agree with the ground meat ratio.

We like to soak the roast overnight in Italian Dressing and whatever other spices you like to add to that.

What a blessing!!!

Amy @ Cheeky Cocoa Beans said...

A friend of ours recently gave us a few pounds of ground deer meat, and while I haven't cooked it yet, I can tell you that I've been told that it cooks quicker than other ground meat. I plan to mix it half and half with ground beef (or else there are certain members of my family who wouldn't touch it), and to either cook the two separately and then mix (most likely), or add the deer meat after letting the beef cook some. This will be my first experience with deer meat, too. :)

Cinnamon said...

Thank you for stopping by our blog. We just carved up a deer. We started a few years ago thereby saving the processing fees. We just hang it up in our garage and like one ol' pro told us "just cut till ya hit bone" there's your meat.

With 3 older boys still at home I like them to keep learning about cutting up deer. My husband has been here to show them the past two years and they are hunting now. Thankfully he'll be able to go over it all with them again before he returns to Afghanistan.

We made jerky out of all our deer meat. With 8 children who gobble it up and one son who lives many states away who also loves it, we go through it really quick!

A lady once showed me how to cook deer meat so it didn't taste like deer. Basically brown it with a flour coating, your regular seasonings and let it slow roast. It was very yummy.

I would second the idea of mixing 1/2 deer meat wiht 1/2 ground beef. We've also made sausage with our deer meat. Also yummy.

I like your post about saving money. We eat out of our freezer for an entire week from time to time. The goal is to spend less than $25 dollars for one week (food only) and eat completely out off of what is in your home. You get mighty creative :-)

Well I've rambled on enough here~ Thanks again for stopping by.

~Cinnamon