If you asked my daughter she would probably say that math is her least favorite thing in the world to ever do. I wish I could tell you that after using Math Essential she loves math, but that would be incorrect. I will say that some aspects of Math Essentials has made math a little more bearable. For the purposes of this review we chose Pre-Algebra Concepts and Problem Solving workbooks.
Grace did one page from Pre-Algebra three days a week and one page from Problem Solving two days a week. Problem Solving sells for $10.95 and Pre-Algebra Concepts with dvd for $30.95. Each work page starts with three to six review problems. I really appreciated the review section because my daughter needs lots of it. The next section is helpful hints which explains the new concept followed by ten problems from the new material. Pre-Algebra Concepts came with a dvd with explanations while Problem Solving did not. Here are my thoughts so far:
- The cost of the workbooks/dvds/online videos is very economical and the materials are worth the price you pay.
- Only 10 problems per new material for students that don't really like math is very attractive.
- Less time involved with only 20 minutes a day devoted to math.
- Set up of review one every work page.
- No solutions. If you miss a problem and can't figure it out your kind of stuck.
- On one of the early lessons in Pre-Algebra a question was asked that was not in my opinion properly addressed to solve the problem.
- All the bar graph problems in Problem Solving left room for child's interpretation which in turn meant sometimes a wrong answer.
The books I reviewed are in line for 6th - 8th grade. On the website many more workbooks are available for grades 4 - 12. I believe we will stick with Math Essentials for now. After finishing the two books we have I plan on purchasing the Geometry workbook. Some of the books are recommended as a stand alone products for an entire course where others are supplemental. In my opinion the pros out weigh the cons and I would recommend this product especially for students that are interested in a shorter and more concise routine of math each day. Please visit Math Essentials for more information. Visit here to see what the other TOS Reviewers think.
Disclaimer: As a member of the TOS Crew I received this product at no cost to me in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are mine.