Thursday, February 17, 2011

Interesting Book

Yesterday I went to the library and picked up a book I had on hold. Started reading it before bed last night and seriously could not put it down until I finished it. Lots of great information, especially for beginners like me in the sustained living info world. Conscious Kitchen is written by Alexandra Zissu. Chapters include:
  • What kind of food to buy
  • Fruits, Vegetables, and Where to shop
  • Farm Animals
  • Dairy and Eggs
  • Seafood
  • Drinks
  • Packaged Foods
  • Pots, pans, food storage, and tabletop
  • Appliances and low-energy cooking
  • Cleanup
  • Waste

I found alot of the information fascinating and worthwhile. The information concerning organic food was well needed, still hovering on some of the buying local tips. I do truly believe we need to buy local or grow our own, just not sure how much of an impact I can actually make with my own food spending dollars. One of the most helpful bits of info I found was the coding on fruit and veggies:

  • Organic should start with a number 9 and be a 5 digit number.
  • Convention should start with a 4 and be a four digit number.
  • GMOs should start with a 8 and be a 5 digit number.

Also interesting was the lists of "the dirty dozen" (fruits and veggies that have the most pesticides, etc.), maybe these should be grown at home or bought organic:

  1. Peach
  2. Apple
  3. Bell Pepper
  4. Celery
  5. Nectarine
  6. Strawberries
  7. Cherries
  8. Kale
  9. Lettuce
  10. Grapes
  11. Carrot
  12. Pear

I found this book to be so helpful and full of information I could really use on a daily basis. Alot of the information I learned will be written on index cards to stay in my purse for each grocery shopping trip. Looking so forward to grow some of our own this year.

2 comments:

Kelly Rhoades said...

You're such a budding gardener! Get the pun?! And I remember 2 years ago when one was planted but you didn't want to walk down to it to work in it. How you've changed!

Jane said...

Thanks for passing on the information. Sounds like this book is well worth the read. Blessings jane