Saturday, February 12, 2011

Chicken Update

Another hen started laying today, that brings our total to three laying hens with three more to go. What is so exciting about this new layer - I went out to feed them this afternoon and I saw her up in the roosting box beside and egg. I was about to go in and collect when I noticed she was straining. So I actually got to see her lay her first egg. It was great. Of course then she didn't want me to get her egg or the egg beside her. Hopefully this isn't a clip of what is to come in the future. Surely she knows not to lay on just one egg or to be broody after laying just her first egg. The newness still hasn't worn off of going out twice a day to look for eggs. I rewarded them all with some leftover spaghetti noodles and spinach. They were having a ball the last time I looked out the window. Can you tell I am crazy about my chickens.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Some chickens are just like that they don't want you taking their eggs, most will settle down pretty quickly and accept their fate. I love chickens too. I am following your blog, you are welcome to follow mine as well. Blessings jane