Sunday, February 27, 2011

Chicken Emergency

When we arrived home from church this morning I cut an apple up to give the the chickens. I noticed that Bella the bantam was not around to partake in the goody. I looked in the coop and she was there straining and bloody on her rear end. Upon closer inspection their appeared to be an egg stuck (bigger in size than what she should be laying). Three quarters of the egg was actually out but the shell was broken and hollow. I immediately started researching on the net how to get the remainder of the egg out. Proceeded to soak her in warm water with a little soap mixed in for lubrication. This actually did relax her and moisten the vent up for her to expel it. Her vent did look somewhat prolapsed after the egg was expelled. Not sure what it usually looks like immediately following laying an egg. I have separated her from the rest of the flock for a couple of days to let her heal. She does look a little peaked this evening and still moist on her rear end. This is Grace's favorite chicken, praying she doesn't get an infection and die. I think because our rooster is so much bigger than her she may need to be separated for life if she recovers so that the egg size can be a little smaller. If I didn't mention it before this was her very first egg to lay. Any sage advice is welcomed.

5 comments:

Kelly Rhoades said...

Glad this turned out well for you! Had fun this afternoon in our scary ride. Looking forward to Wednesday. This should be our sewing or sit 'n stitch afternoon.

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

Gosh, I'm so sorry to read this. I've never had to deal with it {yet}, but I did have a little Araucana yesterday lay an egg with a bit of blood on it. Hoping she continues ok. It sounds like you've done the right thing, from what I've read. Maybe someone who has experienced it will post any additional ideas. I think the most important thing is keeping her isolated so she an heal.
Staci

Pebblekeeper ~ Angie said...

No sage advice, thankfully this never happened to us. What a great adventure - glad she expelled it!

Nekkid Chicken said...

I would keep her separated for awhile; chickens will peck at her bloody end. They are attracted to red. Clean her hing parts with hydrogen peroxide and paint her bits with some neosporin. She should go back to laying when she has healed some.

Hope she heals soon,
Mal

Deb said...

Oh, poor chicken! You are such a good chicken mama, Diane!