Monday, May 31, 2010

Traumatic Morning But Ended on a Happier Note

For a Memorial Day Holiday it started with rain the entire night and morning. We decided to just stay in and read, paint, draw, etc. and relax. The dogs started barking in the late morning and I went down to check out the culprit. You have to understand that my dogs, bark at everything including leaves falling from trees, so I didn't figure it was much to get excited about. When I reached the kitchen and looked out the window I found a big brown dog in bunny's pen and another dog near by. I immediately yelled for Scott and I opened the door to start yelling at the dogs to leave thinking bunny was probably under his hutch where he likes to sleep. But I immediately saw his lifeless body in the corner of the pen. The neighborhood dogs had killed him. Grace was destroyed and me and Scott weren't much better. Scott got in his car to find the dogs because we had never seen the before. The owners ended up living about four houses down from us on the main road. They normally have the dogs on chains or leashes when walking but they got away from them this morning and ran off. They were very sorry and offered to get Grace a new bunny ( we probably won't do that again - bunny was a stray that just happened in to our yard almost two years ago) but Scott did tell the owners if the dogs come back in our yard (because we have a really small dog in our backyard fence that we don't want harmed) they run the risk of consequences. About this time our son came home and today is his 20th birthday. We celebrated with a pizza lunch and cookie cake for dessert. The family party will be next weekend when we also celebrate Grace's 11th birthday. It was good to have the birthday celebration today because it got our mind off of bunny for a little while. Tonight Grace will go to her first practice for The Wizard of Oz. Interested to see what kind of costume we are looking at purchasing/making.

6 comments:

Kelly Rhoades said...

Oh man! I'm sorry about bunny. Sorry we didn't get to swim. Happy Birthday Travis!

Jenny said...

Ohhhh, I'm so sorry about your bunny. That IS traumatic. On a happier note, your house is beautiful, and it's always fun to find new homeschoolers' blogs.

Frances said...

Sorry to hear about your bunny. My sister had that happen to her with a lot of bunnies. The culprits did suffer consequences. They raise rabbits and cannot afford to have strays and neighbors dogs killing them. It is sadder when it is a pet.

Jessica said...

Oh my! I am so, so sorry to hear about bunny.

argsmommy said...

How horrible! The death of a pet can be so hard, especially when it happens like that. You all are in my prayers.

Leslie said...

I'm so sorry about your bunny! What an awful thing to have happened.

I'm glad you had a fun birthday celebration and hope the play is fun. My Rebecca loved doing that one last summer.

Blessings
Leslie