Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Secret

Okay, I am going to admit something here that alot of you may be shocked about. I know alot of homeschoolers don't watch TV, don't even have cable. We are actually working on that, probably ditching the cable in 1-2 weeks getting a roku box and just watching Netflix live without those commercials that your kids have to sit through that you would rather them not see. But that's not the secret. I love TV programs. Always have. I don't watch things that I would have watched in the past though. I gave up rated R movies a couple of years ago and haven't really missed them. I watch alot of BBC shows on Netflix from England. But one of the television shows I have stuck with for the whole run is "Lost". Last night I watched the two hour finale and it was great. It ended just like I thought it was going to and the great thing about the ending was it gave you the impression that they had all died and gone to Heaven. There was a bright light. It was great to see all the cast back together again like a reunion. Very moving. Ended it just like it should. I hope that some of you out there won't think any less of me for my TV viewing habits. I don't watch anything during the day or early evening, usually once the house is quiet I pick one or two programs to watch before bed. I usually crochet, quilt, or cross stitch while watching. If there are some other TV watchers out there - what are some of your favorite programs?

10 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

We watch a few shows--Lost, The Amazing Race, Survivor, American Idol, CSI NY. I have to admit I recently started watching Glee and LOVE it. This summer we're going to go back and watch from the beginning. I am already feeling lost without Lost, though!!

Deb said...

I heart teevee! I am pretty strict with the kids, but after they are in bed...

I find that a lot of the shows on cable are higher quality and have less gratuitous/objectionable content. I like The Closer, Justified, The Good Wife...I guess in general cop-dramas. I don't watch much reality tv, but I do have one vice - The Real Housewives of Anywhere. I like to settle in with some popcorn and screech at how awful they all are. It's very cathartic. Especially on those days when I don't feel I was a very good mom/wife/teacher, they always make me feel better.

brightandnew said...

I'm a home schooler and we have a TV - but we don't watch live TV on it! In the UK we have to pay for a TV licence to watch live TV so we pick the odd programme to watch on the PC via BBCi player (we watch DVDs on the TV)

I like to watch a lot of the documentaries, I'm enjoying a programme called How To Live A Simple Life at the moment, and the child in me is loving Dr Who!

Unknown said...

Bright and New,
I just recently got hooked on some shows from BBC that I get through Netflix. I do like Dr. Who, but also have been watching Survivors (recently learned it was canceled), MI-5 and Primeval.
Blessings
Diane

cheerymishmash said...

Doctor Who is the one to watch in this house ;o) Chi also loves Primeval and has those on DVD. We are quite selective viewers, but I don't have any hangups about having a TV - most people I know who claim not to watch TV are generally the same people who tell me what they watched on iplayer last night...;o)

Anonymous said...

I watch Dr Who and Ashes to Ashes - thats about it really, oh and lots of toddlers TV (well - seems like lots but my toddler only watches it for about 25 minutes) LazyTown is my favourite!
World cup soon, so our TV will be permantly on for the football!

Kelly Rhoades said...

You're the one who got us hooked on stuff!

Leslie said...

I'm not much of a tv watcher (too much time on the computer!), but do enjoy The Biggest Loser. It's over for the season though so I'll probably not pick up anything else. We also watch Netflix.

Blessings
Leslie

sheila said...

Did you see the MASSIVE conversation on Melissa Wiley's blog about LOST? Everyone was all over the map as to what had happened! Very funny.

argsmommy said...

LOL, Wednesday night I blogged about how I hadn't been able to see the LOST ending yet and had been avoiding all spoilers. Afterwards, I checked for updates in my blogroll and started reading this post. As soon as I saw you mention LOST I screamed and covered my eyes. But now I've seen the ending and loved it. It's the only show I watch regularly, so I will really miss it.