Friday, May 10, 2013

Homeschooling High School - Blogging Through The Alphabet

The thought of teaching high school strikes fear into many homeschooling parents. How will I teach the subjects I don't know or didn't study myself? These thoughts have been floating around in my head for a couple of years. I think I have finally come to a point though, were I am not fearful anymore. I really don't think that I will do any worse than if my child went to a brick and mortar school and was taught by a "certified" teacher. If I need to send her to a class here and there that is fine. She does enjoy the time with other students and teachers. But it will never be more than a class or two a year.

This discussion leads me in to what we have planned for the next year which was to be Grace's 9th grade year, her first year of high school. Grace has a late birthday and will not turn 14 until next month. We have decided to do high school in five years instead of four. Many high school students will take a gap year after their senior year before going on to college. Our gap year will be in between 8th and 9th grade. Mainly this stems from the fact that she is not really ready for high school level science or math. History, English, etc. are fine and we may go ahead and start some high school level work in those areas. So technically we may be talking about 8 1/2 grade, if there was such a thing. Also we really enjoy learning whatever comes our way plus whatever is sent to us from the TOS Review Crew. I always hover a line between wanting to be an unschooler/interest led and just a very relaxed homeschooler. Sometimes I think I spend to much time trying to put a label on us and trying to fit into certain categories of homeschooling.

The bottom line is I know she is learning. She has strengths and weaknesses just like everyone else in this world of ours. This week she has gotten so many compliments on her performance as the Genie in Aladdin. What a talent she has in acting and art. Why should she feel bad about the things she is not good at? Like math. It is such a struggle for her. When she becomes an adult she is not going to pick something in the science or math field for work or school. She will pick a career/job where she can be creative. I think the bottom line for us is that high school will be a maturing period or learning. What we learn is just going to depend on what works and what she needs as she starts to discover herself.

I am linking up with Ben and Me for Blogging Through the Alphabet. Come over and join up.

Blogging Through the Alphabet

No comments: