Thursday, March 22, 2012

Special Diets

Okay things are getting a little crazy around here. I have read about many families with multiple food allergies, etc. and often wondered how they handled all the craziness. I am now having to keep up with three different diets for me, my son, and my mother. So here goes:

Me - I am still following a gluten and white sugar free diet. I do feel more energy, less stomach issues and just brighter and clearer. Joint and muscle issues are still present. I will start on Digestactive (natural digestive aid) in a couple of days and start weaning myself off the dexilant. Really praying I will see some improvement then. Also waiting for test results for vitamin d(which was low), iron (also low) and thyroid. Any of these could also be contributing factors.

Son - Our son has been plagued with ADD most of his life. Diagnosed in 4th grade, originally we did try medication which kept him from sleeping and eating. Don't want to go down that road again. Up till now with maturing he has learned ways to keep himself focused. Recently he started a new job with toyota that requires lots of concentration and not missing anything with fear of being written up. He is staying stressed because it is hard for him to focus. Hubby did alot of research about diet and supplements in relation to ADD and came up with a list of items that our son needs to change. He agreed to start using the supplements (B complex, magnesium with zinc, and fish oil) as well as start some changes in his diet. Low caffeine, no processed sugar, eat more fruits and whole grains, nuts, seeds, and dark chocolate.

Mother - Recently after a year of every three months testing we discovered that her cancer has started to grow again which means treatment. Mom does not wish to do any more radiation, chemo or clinical trails. She is 70 and has alot of trouble with side effects from all three. So yesterday I did lots of research for her about changing her diet to hopefully slow down cancer growth before our next test in May. There are many things that she will need to slowly incorporate into her diet. Lots of raw fruits and vegetables, flax seed oil mixed with cottage cheese daily, almond milk in place of cows milk, giner and tumeric sprinkled of veggies, green tea three times a day and lots of carrot juice. This is just to name a few. If we can start this diet and see some progress by May with no growth or even shrinkage of the tumors we could then prove to the doctors that diet and supplements do help with managing cancer. Of course most doctors don't even want to hear you out about alternative means of treatment. In 9 years of mom's cancer not once has anyone recommended changing her diet. Do you realize that sugar feeds cancer cells yet no one ever told her not to eat it.

I will give updates as information arises.

4 comments:

Kelly Rhoades said...

You have to watch Forks Over Knives. It directly talks about the link between what we eat and turning on/off cancer cells and genes if it is a hereditary cancer.

Unknown said...

I have already watched Forks Over Knives about 6 months ago. It is astounding how much diet and nutrition can affect your body and the way it funcitons.
Diane

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

It really is so true what a large connection food is. Have you looked into Kombucha tea? There is a small article in Mary Jane's Farm magazine this month. It looks very interesting - I think I'll be giving it a try. Certainly can't help! If you don't have access to the magazine let me know. I could scan the article and email it to you if you're interested in reading it.

Free Spirit Beth said...

I tried to get my own mother to alter her diet when she said no more treatment. Her committment to it was clearly not there. I believe that when a person says not more treatment then you should look into the most simple things like foods. I mean, that chemo is hard on a body and have much worse later effects as well. My mom struggles with those lasting effect still. Keep us updated so we can know how it goes