Monday, March 18, 2013

A is for Algebra

Over the weekend myself and hubby visited The Great Homeschool Convention in Greenville, South Carolina (more posts to come). One main product I was searching for was a math for the upcoming new school year. Over the years we have used/tried many math products.

Horizons
Life of Fred
Right Start
Teaching Textbooks
Math Essentials

Teaching Textbooks is probably our favorite but I just couldn't see spending almost $200.00 each and every year for it. We have no other children to pass the product down to and these days resale you would be looking around $50.00 in our area. Next on the list was Math Essentials and I do like these books - we just finished Geometry. Well, while in the vendor hall I came across some inexpensive, no-frills Pre-Algebra and Algebra books made by Straight Forward. These we will start right away. The book I am most excited about using is "Real World Algebra" by Edward Zaccaro. This book was created for students 4th-9th grades. The material is presented in comic book fashion with easy to understand instructions and examples. The Straight Forward books were purchased for $4.95 and Real World Algebra for $24.95. Can't wait to see how Grace does with these.




I am linking up with Marcy over at Ben and Me. She is starting up her Blogging Through the Alphabet Posts. Be sure to join up and have some fun along the way.

4 comments:

Deb said...

I am so jealous of that great conference! I'd love to go to a big one like that. How fun!

Also love the idea of Real World Math.

Dawn said...

We will be switching math curriculum next year due to the Common Core Standards and our current "aligning" with them. We will be using Teaching Textbooks for the first time. Fortunately I found a friend who has the two we need for an affordable price. Here's to praying our math programs work for both our families! Stopping by from BTA. Blessings.

Four Little Penguins said...

I, too am jealous about the conference!
Looks like an awesome math find! I love our math, but at those prices am willing to check this out. Even as a supplement!

Leah Courtney said...

We went to the GHC a few years ago. :-) I'm looking at different math this year too. I would love Teaching Textbooks but not sure we can swing the cost.