Saturday, September 8, 2012

Little House Link Up


  •      
Churning butter is one of those activities that we read about in Little House books and elsewhere. In this day and age it is very simple to purchase real butter at the store but is also getting very expensive. Recently I started bartering with a family friend her raw milk for my baked goods and produce from the garden. It has worked out very nicely so far. Never in a million years would I have imagined that I would be making my own butter.
I love the butter I can purchase at our local creamery but it is very expensive. With the three gallons of raw milk I get each week I can make our own butter with just the cream and added salt. No expensive involved. I am sure that many of you have read the information that is available about margarine, very nasty stuff. I switched to butter a couple of years ago and never looked back. We read more than once in the Little House books that a lot of the time they just had bread and butter for lunch with maybe a little honey if they were lucky. Meals were much more simple during those times. Next week I hope to use a gallon to make mozzarella cheese. Not sure if they even had that yet during pioneer and westward expansion times.  Be sure to visit The Usual Mayhem for the weekly Little House Link Up.


1 comment:

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

It's amazingly easy isn't it? I, too, had never imagined making my own. Now I just need to find someone with a cow who would like to trade milk, as you've found. :)