Saturday, November 3, 2012

New Thoughts For Teaching Science

We never get excited about Science. Nothing really interests Grace so normally I am just dragging her along for the ride. Recently I came across a list of Science topics that should be discussed and known by the age of 14. For the life of me I don't remember where I go the list otherwise I would give them the credit. Also sintce I am leaning more towards unschooling these days I don't hold  much stock in all the the topics needing to be covered, but it is a good place to start. I hope for us to cover a couple of topics a week. Still haven't decided if I will pick the topics or let her do it. I will ask Grace to do a little research about the topic then do an art journal page about the topic. Once she is finished with all the topics she will have a handy notebook/art journal to flip through and look up information for future reference. Without further ado, here is the list:

Habitats/Biomes/Ecosystems                        
Endangered Species
Zoology
Animal Taxonomy
Food Webs, decomposors, consumers, producers
Earth Science
Oceanography
Tides, Waves and Currents
Properties of ocean water
Ocean Floor
Layers of the ocean
Weather
Types of Clouds
Wind and wind speeds
Water Cycle
Types of Percipitation
Air Pressure
Atmosphere Layers
Moon and its phases
Eclipses
Rock Cycle
Earth's Layers
Scientific Method
Types of Sciences
Basic General Biology
Cell Structures
DNA
Genes
Human Body
Five senses and how they work
Basic Anatomy and Physiology
Nutrition
Germs and Wellness
Basic Hygiene
Basic Human Development
Human Reproduction
Seeds - types, characteristics and development
Trees - types and where found
Flowers - parts of a flower, plant reproduction
Leaves - types and characterization
Photosynthesis
Basics needs - food, water, soil, air, sunlight
Plant taxonomy
Simple machines
Friction and gravity
Forces and motion
Work and transfer of energy
Forms of Energy
Renewable and nonrenewable energy
Matter and its stages
Volume and mass
Density and buoyancy
Atoms
Sound waves and how they travel
Decibels and Hertz
Light
Spectrum and colors
Magnets
Poles
Electromagnets
Mixtures vs. Solutions
Compounds and elements
Atoms and molecules
Periodic Table
Acids and Bases
Chemical reactions
Chemical changes
Scientists - Edison, Pasteur, DaVinci, Galileo, Newton, Goodall, Nightingale, Curie, Archmides, and Galen

So I think this will keep us pretty busy for a good long time.


































1 comment:

Catherine said...

If you enjoy "living books", you can't go wrong with the Holling C. Holling books and with scientist biographies. I think those are really good for kids who aren't very science oriented. DK and Smithsonian have some collaborative books that you might be able to get from your library. My son is using Earth this year. It's definitely high school level, but I think they have some lower level books as well.

I hope this helps. I spent a good bit of time delving through the science stuff available a couple of years ago. I wanted more science, but the kids wanted less, so I had to find a nice compromise!

Blessings,
Catherine