Monday, October 4, 2010

Decluttering

Over the past couple of months I have been reading alot about living a more simple life. Because of this reading I have learned that it is in our nature to want things and when we get them to still want more. I don't want to be that way anymore. I would say in the past year our purchases has declined immensely with the exception of learning/educational materials. Clothing just doesn't interest me anymore and if I have enough clothes to last through the week I am okay. Me and hubby did have to break down and buy sneakers yesterday, neither of use had bought new ones in 2-3 years. But we still didn't purchase high price sneakers. Today I decided to start weeding out alot of the items we just don't need or use. Grace's room was first on the agenda. Believe it or not, she does not like to spend time in there except at night to go to bed. Most of her day is spent in the school room, media room (not watching TV mostly computer work, legos, etc.), or outside. She turned 11 in June and really doesn't "play" with toys anymore. There were still some leftovers from her childhood that just needed to go. Kitchen playset, Littlest Pet Shop, purses, clothing, etc. Some will go to a close friend for her younger girls when we visit on Wednesday and some to the local charity. I still have much more to go. Attic, my room, son's room, etc. But little by little I will work through it. People just don't need this much stuff.

3 comments:

Deb said...

I'm with you Diane! I feel that my entire adult life has been spent trying to acquire stuff. Now I look around and feel strangled. I just sold my first thing on eBay! I am so excited to get rid of stuff! My goal over the next several months is to go through EVERYTHING we own and really decide if it is necessary for our life. I will probably encounter some opposition, but I am fed up with STUFF everywhere.

Kelly Rhoades said...

Come on over while you're feeling the decluttering bug. You can declutter all of my house anytime you want.

Chris said...

Have you read Choosing Simplicity:Real People Finding Peace and Fulfillment in a Complex World? I've been into reading about simplicity, too, and this book has been great.