Thursday, June 10, 2010

Dreaming

I've been thinking alot lately about the future and living a simple life. I know that homeschooling thoughts take up alot of space on this blog but that doesn't mean that my mind isn't racing with other things. We have tried the gardening thing for two years now and nothing will grow here. Probably because we are surrounded by woods and just don't get enough sun. Even tried container gardening on our front deck, still nothing. I think I might have to rethink some future self sufficient ideas. Our son is very interested in building a wind turbine to use for some electrical issues - luckily we live in the Ga. Mountains so we do get a little more wind than others in the state. But still don't know if it would work well enough. Have looked at solar but again we live in the woods - would require alot of clearing that we really don't want to do. We only live on an acre of land which makes it hard to have animals, like cows, goats, chickens, etc. Another problem is our well is only 45 ft. down which limits where you could put any animals you might acquire. Chickens are probably a real possibility especially since we are no longer buying feed for bunny, we could delegate that money to chickens. I am sure that hubby has plenty of supplies to actually build the coop. Since the incidence with bunny the chickens would need to be housed all the time to keep from neighborhood dogs. Next in the thought bank is something my husband brought up and that is making our own trout pond in the front yard. We have a big island area in our front yard that is not used for anything that would be perfect to create a big pond and breed trout. But the biggest thought in my mind right now is how to bring my husband home to work in town or from home. You see, since we moved up here my husband has had to travel 1 hour and 15 minutes each way to work 5 days a week. Until recently he was only working 4 days a week which gave him more time to work on his art. Now he has lost that. This week has been a whirlwind of trying to finish projects for a big Arts Festival this weekend. Meaning coming home from work around 6 and going straight to his studio to work. It would be great if he could work here in town somewhere and us live on less. I am so enamored by the home school families that have businesses of their own to support the family and work together. I watched something last night about this on The Home School Channel TV and haven't been able to get it off my mind. We have debt we need to pay off first and some more simplistic living we need to practice before being able to accomplish any of these future goals. Well, I guess thats enough to ponder about today.

2 comments:

Deb said...

What is The Homeschool Channel? I have never heard of that - is it online?

I feel your pain about the commute. My husband had a 100 mile a day commute for a long time, and it was truly awful. Is telecommuting any kind of option for your hubby?

Leslie said...

That is a hard commute. I hope y'all find something else that will work better for your family. I understand about the garden too - we also live on a wooded lot and not enough sun for a much wanted garden.

(((Diane))) Hugs to you.

Would love to hear more about what you are watching on the HS channel.

Blessings
Leslie