Monday, May 3, 2010

Treasure Trove

Even with all the rain we have had over the past couple of days we decided to do our nature walk this afternoon. I am sure glad we did. In one small area of about 3 x 3 we found a treasure trove of God's handiwork. The above pic is a wolf spider with egg sac. Kind of creepy but fascinating to see from a distance. Can you imagine how many baby spiders there are in this egg sac. For obvious reasons (Grace does not like spiders), we did not choose this guy for our focus today.
Now this guy is a different story. Grace was thrilled to find a land snail and immediately picked it up to bring in for a pet. She did draw him in her nature journal and added some details about what he likes to eat and if they give live birth or hatch from an egg. They hatch with just one spiral on their shell, and continue to get more spirals as they grow. So we currently have Gary in a small pet keeper for Grace to observe for awhile.

All of our honeysuckle bushes are about to open up.


1 comment:

Dana Leeds said...

I don't think I've ever found a spider with an egg sac like that. Great find! And, I cannot imagine how many baby spiders are in there.

My daughter kept 2 snails as pets a few years ago. We loved watching them & playing with them.

And, I remember "drinking" from honeysuckle growing up. I've shared that with my daughter a few times. How fun to have them in your yard!