Sunday, January 6, 2013

I Must Be Crazy

Yesterday I received an email from our state home school organization (GHEA - Georgia Home Educators Association) that they were needing volunteers for the upcoming yearly state wide conference. The past five years me and my family have traveled down to Atlanta (about 1 1/2 hours away) to attend the conference. Some years we go just for one day and other years we decide to make a small vacation of it by staying 2-3 days. A lot depends on who the main speakers will be and what kind of classes are offered. If it is something really good we plan on staying longer if nothing really excites me then I just go to see the vendors and the used book sale. Anyway, I kind of got off track. The email stated that the conference had about 6 positions open up that needed filled to make the conference happen. Me and Scott have talked often about the fact that once Grace is grown and graduated we still want to stay connected with the home school community and what to help other families get started with the same lifestyle. Sort of pass on the knowledge and support. I figured this might be a good way to get my feet wet and open some doors to head in that direction. One of the positions needing filled is assistant to the conference coordinator. I emailed the head of volunteering with my desire to help and she emailed me back tonight. She was thrilled to get my email and wants me to attend the coordinator meeting this Saturday. Another boost is that the conference has been moved closer to where we live this year with only a 55 minute drive to attend. Of course if I am required to be present all three days I will book a room and stay. This is exciting for me, but is also adding a lot to my already full plate. This type of volunteering is right up my alley because I am a list maker, a organizational freak so to speak. Give me a list and I will work till every item is crossed off. See my spiritual gift is organization and management. I have fought this gift all my life because I am good at it but sometimes it gets me pulled into lots of stuff and heading up lots of committees, etc. I look at it this way though, the conference is in May. Once the conference is over my part is done until next January if I decide to continue to volunteer. I believe in home schooling with every fiber of my being and wish to be on the forefront of promoting it and letting families know there is an alternative to public education. So I guess, pray for me. Pray I don't get overwhelmed with lots of work. Pray I have the wisdom to juggle all my plates in the air without dropping any.

4 comments:

Melany aka Supermom said...

Good luck! I am sure you will do well clearly just because of your passion for it. Adding extra work to your full plate is not easy but since it is your passion I think you will enjoy it.

Alexandra said...

How willing our spirit is, but reality crashes in.

I find myself in this very same predicament, every year.

Stopping by to say thank you for your wonderful comment on my blog. Caught me off guard, and I am humbled.

Thank you, I appreciate your kindness so much.

Best to you and your family in 2013.

Fran said...

What a wonderful challenge and opportunity. I am absolutely certain that you are just the woman for this post, they could not have found anyone better. Good luck and enjoy yourself xxx

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

What a hectic start to a new year! :) I hope you have a wonderful experience!!