Sunday, July 13, 2014

10th Grade Class Choices

The past 3-4 months have I have bounced back and forth between many class choices for Grace's 10th grade year. After much discussion with Grace I think we have finally decided on what she needs for 10th grade and what she wants for 10th grade. There is a fine line that we as parents have to adhere to when deciding curriculum from year to year. We know what the state requires, we know what our child's strengths and weaknesses are, and we know what the overall population expects a child to know and learn. Next we have to look at and I mean really look at what our child wants for the future and what they feel like they can handle curriculum wise. I truly took all this into consideration and this is what we came up with for Grace's 10th grade year.

American History - Originally we had already made the decision to study World History with Streams of Civilization. Then Dave Raymond's American History came to us for review through the TOS Review Crew. This course is rocking our socks and Grace really likes it. I will have more information about this course soon in a review post. We were blessed with an entire year of this curriculum and plan on taking advantage of it. This course starts with Meso-America and goes through the end of the Civil War. Lucky for us they are currently in production of the next set of DVDs which will cover modern American history times and that we can use in 11th grade.

Biology - Again we had thought we would ultimately move on to Apologia Biology and in essence we will still be using it just in a different way. We discussed the choices available on our book shelves and decided to use High School Biology in Your Home. This is a research based course. Up to 10 questions are presented to the student each week and it is their responsibility through using multiple research materials to fine the answers. Grace will use the Apologia Biology book and Biology 101 DVDs to answer those research questions. The questions should be answered Monday - Thursday and then Friday is a lab day.

English 102 - Multiple educational products and one outside class will make up Grace's 10th grade English credit for the year. She will go back to her beloved teacher Ms. Christy at Creative Canvas to attend an analytical literature class. Some of the books they will read include: The Outsiders, The Pearl, Animal Farm, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Giver, The Great Gatsby, and Fahrenheit 451. Grace will work on grammar with Easy Grammar, vocabulary with Marie's Words, and writing through the literature class and some other possibilities.

Spanish 1 & 2 - The past few months Grace was studying Japanese and had all intentions with Japanese being her foreign language choice, but of course with teenagers things change. At the last minute she decided to attend Ms. Christy's Spanish classes on Thursdays for two hours each time. This class is taught in a manner that one year of Spanish is taught each semester which means both years will be finished in one year.

Current Events - We will continue to watch CNN Student News and add that time to this past year of watching the same. I will add in Student News Daily for Grace to read and pick an article each week to summarize in a journal. She will also be attending a Current Events class at the Cooperative starting in August that will end in December.

Drama - Grace wishes to continue her experience with the community theatre and try out for Alice in Wonderland after we finish with The King and I. Plus she will be performing and attending drama classes with the Cooperative throughout the year.

Personal Finance - I have discussed before our decision to not currently pursue any more higher math. Grace struggles with it and this year we decided to take a break from it. For her junior and senior year that may change but for now it is what it is. I have multiple projects and books for her to work through to complete this credit. She will also continue working through a high school basic math skills book to not lose any of the concepts she currently knows like fractions, order of operations, basic Algebra, decimals, percentages, etc.

I am so relieved to have this done and planned out. We have 10 lessons left in Algebra then we are done and can say goodbye to the 9th grade year. So what are you planning for the next school year?

5 comments:

Sandra said...

We're six months away from a new school year but (probably inspired by all you North Americans) I'm currently brainstorming - sort of coming up with a menu of choices for Miss 13 to pick and choose from. Algebra 1 is a given. I'm at peace with the fact she'll probably never love maths but her father wouldn't let her quit just yet even if I would, and since university level science could well be in her future we would be doing her a disservice by not expecting her to continue with it. I'm keen on World Geography, probably using North Star Geography as a spine, but Miss 13 hasn't look it over yet. I think it will appeal to her though. I'm keen on a particular writing programme but I know Miss 13 isn't so I'm pretty sure it won't make the cut:-) Some other self-designed courses I'm suggesting are World Religions, Art History and an Introduction to Politics, Economics and Law. If this one makes the cut we'll split it between the end of this year to tie in with a national election in September and next year. We'll continue with some literature including The Book Thief (finally going to use a Moving Beyond the Page unit after your review) and Romeo and Juliet since the local professional theatre company will be performing it next year. We'll probably do another Shakespeare play too since there is usually an amateur outdooor performance early in the year. Don't know what that one will be yet. I'm sure her interest in ornithology will continue but I think we'll keep it as an extra-curricular. She already has a credit for Ornithology on her transcript and what we do will be most likely just more of the same. Not sure what we'll do for science. It makes sense for her to do some, and physics is an obvious candidate but she has never been keen on it so perhaps we'll wait a year or two and see if she comes to see the use of it on her own.

LJS said...

I learn so much from your posts. I have never heard of Student Daily News. I have bookmarks that for when they resume articles in September. I have also never heard of the history program you are using. When I looked it up, I spend so much time browsing through the offered products. I have been looking for more dvd/online lesson based classes and I am very intrigued by the social justice mini class and the poetry. In fact, there is much here I think my girls would enjoy. Thank you for such informative posts.

Lauryn E. B. said...

I am trying to figure out what we will be using for 10th grade this year as well. I am going to look into that History program. That is one subject I haven't figured out yet. I like the idea of how you'll be using Apologia Biology too. Thanks for sharing!

Jenny said...

Hey! I used to read your blog regularly, but I've been away from the blogging and homeschooling world this year. I'm going back to it this fall, and your post in my reading list caught my eye because we are adopting a 16 year old. I feel like I have no idea where to even start with that so thanks for the ideas. I am especially going to add the current news idea because she will also be perfecting her English so I think this will be a good exercise for that. Have a good year!

Chestnut Grove Academy said...

Wow! High School...seems so intimidating, yet so exciting all at once! Thanks for sharing at the link up!