Thursday, January 19, 2012

Eating Whole Foods



A journey I have chosen for this year is trying to eat more whole foods. I am the first to admit that I am the worst vegetable eater around. Grace eats a fair variety of fruits and vegetables but my oldest eats very little. Since he was little his menu consisted of about 10 different items and at 21 it is still close to the same. This year I am focused to try a new vegetable, fruit, grain, etc. each week, especially when the produce starts rolling in for our garden. Don't get me wrong, I do eat alot of greens, shredded carrots, apples, bananas, and nuts. Citrus fruits are out of the picture for me because of my severe acid reflux. In the past couple of months I have changed to snacking on nuts, fruit, and yogurt covered raisins in place of bakery items, chips and crackers. All sweets are usually made by me at home. But I really want to push things farther. I want to do 2-3 meatless meals a week. The other 4 days a week we can have meat but would like to purchase humanely raised and organic meats. As I said in the beginning this is a journey and I am sure I won't be perfect about it all the time. But some is better than none.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Great idea, since I have been watching what I eat, I feel a whole lot better (including my acid reflux problems). Part of my job is as a pig and chicken farm manager (not the ideal job for a veggie!!!) However, I always encourage people, if they are going to eat meat, to purchase 'happy' meat and cut out a lot of the cruelty with mass produced meat. xxx

Kelly Rhoades said...

Yes you are the worst veggie eater around! We're going on our 4th week of vegan eating. Mike is off the Prilosec and has quit clearing his throat. He's down a pants size and I've lost 11.5 pounds. Eating almost all whole foods. I found some great recipes you might want to try.