Sunday, May 8, 2011

Literature Purchases for the New Year

For the past two years I have thought about purchasing missionary titles from YWAM Publishing. This year I decided to take the plunge. Throughout this year Grace has read various missionary stories in our Missionary Stories with the Millers and she has enjoyed them very much. The company had such a good deal at the conference I really couldn't pass up a couple of these titles. The Corrie Ten Boom book came with a study guide and was only 4.77. After purchasing this book the vendor told me if I signed up for their emails that I could get Gladys Aylward for free. What a bargain. Looking very forward to Grace reading through these when the new year starts. Or come to think of it we might just start them this summer to include for the summer reading program at the library.


Next up is a book I have read alot about on blogs and some Shakespeare stories. Last year Grace performed a condensed play by Shakespeare with her drama group and will again be doing that in the fall. I found Shakespeare's Stories for Young Readers at another vendor's booth by E. Nesbit. Twelve plays are represented in the book in a short story format that children can understand. I think we might start off the year with this book for literature when we are actually studying our lines for Shakespeare. From The Mixed-Up Files Of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler just looked like a fun read that has been recommended by many homeschool bloggers. The story is about how a girl and her brother run away from home and end up living in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. They solve a mystery while there.


This last book, The Cat of Bubastes A Tale of Ancient Egypt, will be more than likely be used with our history instead of literature. I am sure it will go great with our year long study of early times Bible history and Ancient Egypt.






No comments: